Source Code Performance Tuning: Tips and Tricks
Source Code is a collection of instructions that are arranged in logical and sequential manner that gives a meaning. Source code is basically what a programmer writes on the computer and later that instruction is compiled and interpreted for the computer to read it. Source Code Performance Tuning is a method to design a source code in such a way that it boosts the efficiency and performance.
A Brief Insight on Source Code Performance Tuning:
Performance Tuning of source code which is also known as program optimization is a process in which the source code or the programming is modified in order to increase efficiency and performance while decreasing the use of resources. Performance tuning is carried out in different stages depending upon the requirement. Optimization can be done at the design level, build level, run time level, compiling level, algorithm and data structure level, assembly level and source code level.
Reasons for carrying out Performance Tuning:
- When bottlenecks are created in between creating a trouble in performance and execution, then we need performance tuning as it removes those bottlenecks.
- The same set of source code sometimes occupy more space and resources leading up to more input and lesser output. To decrease the input and to boost the output, we perform performance tuning.
- When bottlenecks are formed, it makes the whole system go idle as it blocks the path through which the performance takes place. A bottleneck is basically the main area from where the rest part operates and when it gets hung, the whole system suffers.
- Removing cache, bugs, wears and tears from the system.
- Long usage of the code makes it weary and teary resulting in the slowing down of speed. This is why we must perform tuning.
Advantage of Performance Tuning:
There are various advantages of Performance Tuning in Source Code. Some of them are as follows:
- It modifies the whole source code and removes all kinds of wears and tears. This frequently boosts the speed of performance.
- One can also modify the source code by introducing standard source codes that boosts the efficiency of the system.
- It increases the immunity of the system by safeguarding it from bugs, virus and other things that may cause harm to the system.
- Increases efficiency and boosts performance.
Disadvantages of Performance Tuning:
- Sometimes leads you to nowhere. A time comes when you can neither go forward nor backward, end up messing up the whole system.
- Instead of simplifying the source code and increasing efficiency, performance coding sometimes decreases the speed.