Exception Handling Best Practices
The process that responds to the occurrence of exceptions while computing is called Exception Handling Best Practice. This process often alters the working out or execution of any program and implements specific operating system, language of programming along with computer hardware. In other words, this process interrupts the continuity or lucidity of a normal and regular flow of operations and carries out instructions which had been registered previously. The handling of an exception for a certain program dependsentirely to its configuration of either a software exception or a hardware exception. Exception Handling Best Practice offers almost the same as error checking, however it does not allow the smooth and uninterrupted flow of a program. The very first exception handling was observed in a programming language, Lisp, as early as in the 1960s and 1970s. It has eventually emerged and evolved as a significant operation with new approach and demands.
Advantages of Exception Handling:
- Unlike the traditional custom of handling errors and glitches, exception handling provides with the advantage of simplifying complexities of a program. It offers one to read a program without much effort like the tradition system as language is very distinct.
- With the incorporation of a singular exception handler it is possible to handle several errors which are similar to each other. Considering one of the errors as a class parameter, other errors are dealt comparing with it.
- Exception handling has a very crucial advantage over the traditional error handling. This is because it can propagate or channelize all the errors to a certain situation where they can be easily handled.
Disadvantages of Exception Handling:
- Since exception handling is too keen to deal with the ‘normal flow’ of a program, it mostly abhors the possibility of the generation of the code for error handling.
- There are no garbage collectors which are built-in and thus, exception handling may often result in the leakage of confidential resources. This might eventually block the working procedure of a running program.
- Exception handling has resulted in its exploitation as it offers to propagate errors in the desired direction to be handled. People tend not to follow the rigorous process of the traditional method and put exceptional handling in use as much as possible.
One has to be meticulous enough to implement exception handling; this is because there are certain cases where the traditional method may prove more fruitful. However, Exception Handling is one of the best error handling procedures to be used in codes. Its checks, navigates and resolves certain errors tactfully and helps a programmer to execute his work without being obstructed.